Saturday, July 3, 2010

Chickpea Tacos


Yes you read that right. I have found this great recipe using a can of Chickpeas that makes a delicious taco filling. First I sauteed onions, celery, and red pepper together. The recipe said green but I had a red one that I need to use up.

Then I added some spices and yummy salsa. You can make it as spicy as you like.

Then you add the can of chickpeas.I mashed them with the potato masher just a little.

Then you can go ahead and put your tacos together and enjoy. if you look below you will see that I have typed out the recipe. I hope you will enjoy them as much as we do.



Kevin Nealon's Chickpea Tacos
1 small onion
1 T. olive oil
1 celery stalk chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 15-19oz canned chickpeas
5-8 T. salsa (I add more)
1/2 tsp. gr. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili pwdr
dash of cayenne
9-10 taco shells
In large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, and green pepper until softened. Add chickpeas, salsa, cumin, and chili powder. Stir and cook until warmed. Mash chickpeas slightly with a fork for better texture. Fill shells evenly with mixture from saute pan. If desired top with any of the following chopped tomatoes, shredded soy or rice cheese, low-fat guacamole, shredded lettuce, hot sauce, or salsa. I added veggie cheese and my homemade soycream.

2 comments:

  1. OK...this looks really good. We are going to try this recipe. We love burritos and tacos. Thanks We are leaving in a few days for Fishlake, UT. We are excited to see Derek and spend some time with him. Email Gary with your flight time. See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete